Phoenix Psychology in Honiley nr Kenilworth: the largest independent provider of psychological services in the Midlands.

Phoenix Psychology Group is an independent provider of psychological services in the Midlands and operates from Phoenix House in Honiley nr Kenilworth, Warwickshire and Cornwall Buildings, Birmingham.

Frequently asked questions

Here are a few frequently asked questions that you may find helful.

What is a Psychologist?

A Psychologist is a practitioner of psychology; which is the study of animals and humans, specifically the way they think, emote, behave, react and interact.  Human psychology is concerned with all aspects of human behaviour, thought-processes, emotions and motivations.  Psychologists deal in mental processes and can specialise in various areas such as:

Working with people with mental health or emotional difficulties (e.g. Clinical or Counselling Psychologists)

Focusing on education and learning (Educational Psychologists)

Focusing on criminal and antisocial behaviour (Forensic Psychologists)

Working with people with physical health problems (Health Psychologists)

Focusing on business or workplace issues (Occupational Psychologists)

What is a registered practitioner Psychologist?

All professional psychologists must at least hold an undergraduate degree in psychology that confers Graduate Basis for Chartership with the British Psychological Society (GBC) and a post-graduate qualification in one of the specialist areas of psychology. These post graduate qualifications are usually at Masters or Doctoral degree and this is why some use the title ‘Dr’ and others do not. These qualifications represent a minimum of six years full-time academic study but usually extend beyond seven years.

To become a Practitioner Psychologist registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) it is necessary to first meet with requirements necessary to become Chartered with the British Psychological Society (BPS).  This involves obtaining the necessary academic qualifications identified previously but also meeting the required standards, skills and demonstrating sufficient experience befitting the title.  Therefore Registered Practitioner Psychologists will have a minimum of 9 years training and experience, although many will have in excess of 10 at the point of registration.  This training and experience is often generic and includes learning about a wide variety of different approaches to, and theories of, human behaviour and the application of these to various situations.

Once registered, Psychologists are required to maintain a programme of Continued Professional Development (CPD) throughout their careers. This usually involves completing more training, attendance at conferences, conducting research or obtaining further academic qualifications.

Is a Psychiatrist different from a Psychologist?

Yes! Psychologists are experts on the psychology of human behaviour, thoughts and emotions whereas Psychiatrists are medical practitioners who have subsequently trained in Psychiatry.  Psychiatrists specialise in mental illness and primarily with the diagnosis, management and prevention of mental illness.  As medical doctors they are able to prescribe drugs.

What about Psychotherapists?

A psychotherapist is a professional who is qualified in one particular type of psychological therapy. There are many different types of psychological therapy based on different theories and philosophies of human behaviour, such as:

  • Rational-Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT)/Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
  • Existential Therapy (ET)/Gestalt Therapy (GT)
  • Person-Centred (Rogerian) Therapy (PCT)
  • Psychoanalytic Therapy (PT)
  • Systemic (Family) Therapy (FT)

Some psychotherapists have only undertaken training in one type of therapy, for example a Family Therapist or Person-Centred Counsellor; however, psychologists often have qualifications in therapy in addition to their generic training and experience.

What sort of therapy do I need?

This is a very difficult question to answer, and is a very personal choice, often related to the problems you are experiencing.  When you are assessed by a Registered Practitioner Psychologist, owing to their generic training they will be able to advise you on what approach is most likely to work in your situation.  For example the research evidence suggests that people experiencing panic attacks are best treated using more Cognitive approaches (REBT or CBT), whereas a young person with Anorexia Nervosa may respond best using Systemic Therapy (FT). Most evidence suggests that the relationship between client and therapist is central to outcome.  There are guidelines that a Registered Practitioner Psychologist will discuss with you so that you can make the most informed decision about what may be best for you.

How much does it cost?
Therapy is based on an hourly session and costs are determined on a case-by-case basis.  A number of our Associates are registered with private healthcare providers. Please contact us for a discussion about your particular circumstances on 01926 485760 or contact us through our contact form.

We welcome enquiries from potential associates or from practitioners wishing to gain practicing privileges.  Although we aim to be as informal as possible in our approach to recruiting new Associates, we strongly suggest that when making an application to the Phoenix Psychology Group you follow our guidelines below.